How To Configure AstraSync with FirstClass
AstraSync is a Active Sync Client for use with your Blackberry. It will allow users to sync their Contacts, Calendar and tasks from FirstClass with their Device and visa versa. For AstraSync to work you will need to have FirstClass Sync Services build 13 or higher.
To install AstraSync:
1) Visit their website (http://www.astrasync.com) and register an account. Once this is done you will receive a SMS message to your device with a download link.
2) Open the message and click the link in your text message or type the address into the Blackberry Browser to load the application download page. Click 'Download' to start the installation
3) Wait while AstraSync downloads and installs.
4) Choose to run the application when it has installed successfully
5) Backup your information (Optional). You backup your existing data using the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager at this point. If you have enabled desktop synchronization of your calendar, contacts or emails in BlackBerry® Desktop Manager you must turn this OFF now to avoid having your data duplicated. Click OK when you are ready to continue.
6) Network Detection: Allow AstraSync to detect the best way to connect to your email server by contacting the AstraSync web server. To avoid being prompted again check the don't ask again for 'http connections to www.astrasync.com' check box.
7) Wait while AstraSync tests your device to work out the best way to connect to your email server. This can take several minutes. Once this is done click next to continue
8) Server Configuration: Enter your credentials and server information. If you are unsure of what to enter for any of these items ask your server administrator or hosting provider.
* Email address: Your email address. (Make sure this is the same address your registered with on the AstraSync Website)
* Server: The web address of your email server. If your Sync Server is running on any other port other than 80 you need to provide this port number in the address. (eg. If your sync Server is running on 8899 then the server address would be: yourdomain.com:8899)
* Domain: The domain part of your email account credentials. e.g. DOMAIN or domain.com.
This must match the domain you entered at the when registered on the AstraSync website
* Username: Your userID that you use to log into FirstClass.
This must match the username you entered at the start of this wizard.
* Password: The Password to your FirstClass account.
* Use SSL: Un-check this box if your server does not support secure connections.
If you are unsure, leave this box checked
* Enable Wi-Fi: Check this box if your BlackBerry® can access WiFi (wireless) networks and you want AstraSync to connect over a wireless network when available.
9) Bring up the menu and choose 'Next'
10) Server Verification: Wait while AstraSync verifies your account credentials with your server.
11) Once this is done click next
12) Choose which items you want AstraSync to synchronize. (Do not check Email)
12) Bring up the menu and choose 'Next'
13) Confirm Save: If you have chosen to synchronize calendar and contact data, and items already exist on your device the following warning will appear.
14) Bring up the menu and choose an action appropriate to your device.
If you have been synchronizing with your FirstClass Account through SyncJE or another SyncML client you should choose to
“Delete Device Items” to avoid duplicates. (Recommended)
If you wish to upload all your items to your FirstClass account and possible create duplicates choose “Continue Anyway”
15) If you choose to delete the items on your device and you are currently connected to the desktop manager, you must disconnect from your computer and wait while the items are deleted
16) Allow Network Access: You may get a prompt that asks you to allow AstraSync to connect to the AstraSync licensing server and your Email Server. To avoid being prompted again check the don't ask again for 'https connections to www.astrasync.com' check box.
17) Configuration Complete: AstraSync should now process your configuration settings and perform an initial sync of your data.
SUPPORTED FEATURES OF THE NEW ASTRASYNC CLIENT:
* AstraSync will only work correctly with BlackBerry OS 4.2 and higher
* BlackBerry device configuration requires TCP settings
* There are issues synchronizing calendars on devices running OS 4.5 and later with multiple calendars. When removing BIS accounts from the device, it can also delete events from the server. It is recommended to disable calendar syncing before removing a BIS account.
* AstraSync synchronizes with an ActiveSync server, not the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. Therefore, if you have Contacts and Calendars synced from Exchange to Outlook and then Outlook to the device via Desktop Manager, you will get duplicates. To avoid this, set Desktop Manager not to sync Calendars and Contacts before installing AstraSync.
* Application will sometimes fail with Exchange Provisioning errors, retrying the sync should fix the error. (Exchange 2007 SP1 only)
* When syncing Contacts Rich Text Formatted notes may suffer some minor loss of formatting but should not suffer any data loss.
* Attachments cannot be downloaded.
* Contacts 'File As' property can be reset during a sync from the device to server
* Syncing over 2259 contacts will not succeed on any device before BlackBerry OS 4.6
* Certain international characters, such as the Euro symbol, will not be sent properly when composing email
* Contact Photos are not supported
* Message list rendering is slow with 1,000 messages or more
* Changing mailbox or server fails to sync
* ReplyAll duplicates recipient when From address inside original recipients
* Some whitespace appears on the right side of the screen in the message list
* Resetting Contacts or Calendar collections may delete recently added items on the device that haven't yet been synchronized to the server
* Change in Message List clock format is not applied until the next message arrives
* Device doesn't vibrate on message arrival when locked
* Opening truncated message causes the message viewer to flash
* Contacts & calendars fail to sync if user selects "No" to security dialog
* Changing username or domain does not update the message list title
* Client will not respond to a HTTP redirect